Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Arrival

The Arrival (BirthRight Trilogy, #1)The Arrival by Nicole MacDonald

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


When I requested an ARC copy of The Arrival by Nicole MacDonald, I was so excited to read it, a paranormal fantasy/ romance with not one, but four kick ass heroines, bring it on! Unfortunately, a clever story was not enough to pull a five star rating with me.

This story is about a group of four friends, with extensive martial arts training, that can’t seem to find love. So they do what any strong, independent woman would do, they cast a love spell. But, as they must, the spell goes awry.  They are transported into another world where they find themselves lower on the food chain then they are accustomed.

My highest praise for the book is the amazing world that MacDonald has crafted. She is able to allow the reader to fall into the world right along side the main characters and experience the new creatures and surroundings with the foursome. Also, MacDonald really conveys a strong girl-power message, even though the story revolves around the want/need for a partner. Every action scene further solidified the strength of the heroines.

To tell you the truth, I almost stopped reading the book a few different times out of boredom and an inability to connect to characters due to the constant, rapid changing points of view. Now, I think a shift in character perception can enhance the story on many different levels, but changing points of view multiple times per page can get confusing and leave the characters feeling a bit one dimensional. The characters personalities were lost among the shuffle. Eventually, the action would kick back up and pull me back into the story, but that is not enough to make me want to continue with the series.

Those that are fans of the genre, for the price the story is worth the read, despite my criticism, the writing is very well done, with just a few errors here and there. Just be prepared for the revolving points of view. Once you get used to that, it’s not a bad read.




View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your honest review, Danielle. If you find yourself interested in trying book two, let me know - I'd be happy to provide another ARC in exchange for a review.

    Kind regards

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete