Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Day of Decor

#1- T.A.R.D.I.S. Wall Art


After reading so many books lately, I thought it was time to take a break, do some things around the house and finally tackle some craft ideas. A few years ago, I purchased a set of three frames. After decorating my living room, I had only used two of the frames. One has a print of Hand and Apparatus by Salvador Dali that my dad bought for me at the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg. The other, a print from the final page of the comic in Chasing Amy, signed by Kevin Smith.

I knew I wasn't going to use the frame in the living room, so I tried to find a place in my bedroom that the frame would fit and go from there. I found a perfect fit on my geek wall and tried to think of what would go well there.  To me, art is like putting together a puzzle when you don't know what the end picture is supposed to be. I decided to start with the background. I had bought some scrap book paper on sale and it matched my bedroom with a purple pattern on a cream background. I wanted to do a cameo of sorts, but I wasn't sure if I should draw something or go with a magazine or comic picture. I went to the comic book shop and started looking through the damaged and reader grade comics, when I saw a Doctor Who comic with a T.A.R.D.I.S. on glossy paper. I sat down, cut out the picture and used Mod Podge to attach it to the paper. It took all of maybe 5 minutes and I like the way it turned out.

Since that literally took less time than a commercial break, I felt inspired to keep going. I already had the Mod Podge and scrapbook paper out of my craft closet, so I finally went to work on adding some pizazz to a plain photo box where I keep my crafting notions.

#2- Decorated Craft Notions Box


If you are anything like me, when you are in the craft store, you have to hit up the clearance. There are so many great deals and cute things that I will most likely never use, but absolutely have to have. Like this felt chandelier. I have no idea what I was thinking when I bought it. There's not much you can do with a felt notion like this in any of the crafts I have done. I decided to use my Mod Podge to put the chandelier centered on
a purple square. Nothing flashy, simple design, but I love the way the chandelier pops off that purple. Plus, organization is a lot funner when you have cute storage supplies. With the left-over Victorian scrapbook paper, I re-purposed a gift box for more storage. By this time, I was only through two parts of The Mind Robber, so I decided to tackle another project.

#3- Painted Fan

I saw this idea on Pintrest a while ago. Like most things on Pintrest, I pin it and forget it. But I figured what the heck, I have a fan, I have paint, at the very least I thought it would help me get over the guilt I feel pinning 50 things that I promise myself I'm going to try and then forget it ever existed.
I decided not to take the whole fan apart. I just took off the front and laid it down. If your worried about spills and drips you should put something underneath. I only do for spay paint, but it doesn't hurt. It hasn't finished drying in the picture. I am adding some scrolls in white.



Not every project needs to be a huge ordeal, but it seems like those are the ones I am most likely to tackle. I finished all three projects in under 2 hours, leaving me some time to try to catch up on the stacks of review books I need to read. Hopefully, you'll feel inspired to tackle some of your own small projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment